The other day I was craving something sweet in the middle of the day. I searched my cabinets and found snickerdoodle cookie mix. I was so excited about these cookies, but then I checked out the expiration date… expired. Like super expired. Like 2 year ago, expired. I think I cried a little and then once I composed myself I made these cookies.
These were obviously a little more work than I would have had to do with pre-made cookie mix, but honestly they were so much better it was worth it. I did have a slight mishap where a few of the perfect cookie dough balls I just slaved over slipped off the cookie sheet as I was putting them in the oven. There may have been a small fire in the oven, but it was still so worth it. I sent half the cookies to work with Anthony so I wouldn’t eat them all.
Chewy Sugar Cookies
Yields – 24 cookies
Prep Time – 15 Minutes
Bake Time – 8 to 10 minutes
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Cream together butter and sugar for about 2 1/2 minutes, until fluffy.
- Stir in egg, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Roll the dough into balls and roll in granulated sugar.
- Place the balls 1 inch apart on your cookie sheet.
- Add sprinkles or decorations if you want to.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until a light brown color.