I love the show, The Voice. It’s a weird obsession that Anthony hates. Who can blame him though? What man wants to watch a singing competition? If you know one, let me know so I can be friends with him. The blind auditions are my favorite part. You hear these incredible stories about people who have dreamed of having a singing career for their whole life and then they get on stage and sing their hearts out. It’s heart breaking when they don’t make it, but when they do… it’s incredible to watch.
The Voice kind of reminds me of learning to cook. I didn’t cook a lot growing up. My mom cooked a bit, but I never cooked with her. Once I moved out to Pittsburgh, I really needed to learn the basics of cooking. Just like on The Voice, I went in blind and had no real clue what I was doing. Some recipes turn out great and others are horrible.
This recipe was a real winner. All 4 judges chairs would have turned around for this one. We ate these for breakfast, lunch and snacks for a week. They are so simple and fresh tasting, a perfect pick me up in the middle of the afternoon or something to drown your sorrows in on your way to work.
Lemon Blackberry Muffins
Yields – 12 muffins
Prep time – 15 minutes
Bake time – 25 minutes
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1/2 cup of butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 2/3 cup flour
- 4 TSP baking powder
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 1 cup blackberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease muffin tin.
- Zest the lemons and set the zest aside.
- Juice the lemons into a cup and set aside. Make sure there are no seeds in the juice.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Mix the milk, vanilla, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest together. Then, set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, measure the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until fully combined.
- Add the butter to the milk mixture and mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in the blackberries. I chopped mine a little to make them smaller. Do not over mix.
- Spoon muffin mix into muffin tins, filling them all the way to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the tops are browned.