We had a crazy weekend this weekend. We woke up super early on Saturday to drive 6 hours to a wedding in Pittsburgh. We got there around 1pm and went out to lunch, rushed to get ready for the wedding and then went to the wedding. Then, we drove back the next day. Poor Anthony drove the entire 12 hours himself. He let me sleep in the car. We stayed with some of Anthony’s friends and they cooked us breakfast the next morning. It was so nice to have someone cook for me. I did offer to help, but they wouldn’t let me. I’m not a horrible overnight guest, I promise! Invite me over!
I made this dish one night when my in-laws came over for dinner. It’s a really easy meal to make. You basically throw all the ingredients into a big baking dish and bake it. All the veggies start to taste like the sausage… it’s so amazing. What is better than veggies that taste like meat?! In my opinion, those are the best kind of veggies. Don’t get me wrong, a nice salad is nice sometime but it really doesn’t beat meat flavored veggies. I added potatoes and mushrooms to this dish as well, so I wouldn’t have to make any sides. Call me lazy, I just think it’s smart. We served this with some nice bread to soak up all the goodness on the plate after we were finished eating.
Make this dish for an easy weeknight meal. You can even watch Jeopardy while it cooks, and who doesn’t love that!
Sausage, Peppers and Onions
Yields – 3 servings
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 45 minutes
- 4 sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 yellow onions
- 6 oz of mushrooms
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 2 peppers (whatever color you like)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TSP Italian seasoning
- Chop all your veggies into bite sized pieces.
- Spread the olive oil all over the bottom of your baking dish.
- Place veggies into the baking dish first and the sausage on top.
- Poke a few holes in eat sausage using a fork.
- Cook at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Flip the sausages after about 25 minutes in the oven to evenly brown them.