We recently went on a double date in NYC with one of Anthony’s college friends. We went out to a delicious Mexican restaurant and ordered 4 different types of tacos. Our favorites were the Carnitas tacos. They were just so delicious. The meal went so fast. They really try to get you in and out of restaurants in New York. I guess it’s because they have so many people to serve.
Carnitas is basically Mexican Pulled Pork… what is not to love about that?! Plus, I love meals where the slow cooker does all the work for you. It makes you seem like such a impressive cook. We made the Carnitas into tacos with a lot of fresh cilantro. We really love cilantro. I can’t understand why some people don’t like it. It just tastes so fresh.
I am putting pictures of Anthony and my tacos below. You can see how different our tastes are. It’s kind of crazy how different we are, but somehow we still find something to eat together every night. Regardless of what you put on the taco, as long as it has the carnitas it will be yummy.
First up, my taco (the more delicious taco) –
Next up, Anthony’s taco – yuck.
Slow Cooker Carnitas
Yields – 6 servings
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 8 hours
- 1 6 lb pork shoulder roast
- 1 TSP salt
- 1 TSP cumin
- 1 TSP garlic powder
- 1/2 TSP oregano
- 1/2 TSP coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 jalapeno
- juice of 1 lime
- Mix together the salt, garlic powder, oregano and coriander. Coat the pork with the mixture.
- Place the bay leaves, jalapeno, orange juice, chicken broth and lime juice into the slow cooker. Then, place the pork into the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the pork shreds easily with a fork.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Shred the pork using 2 forks until it is bite sized.
- Place the pork onto a baking dish and put it into the oven for about 10 minutes until it becomes crispy.
- Add your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!