This is one of those recipes that is completely Anthony’s creation. He really likes to attempt to recreate curry dishes and it’s fun to watch him experiment. He looks up a few recipes before he starts cooking, but he doesn’t follow an exact recipe. He basically just wings it. I guess this is what an experienced cook does. And usually it turns out pretty good. We only had to order a pizza once.
I know this recipe isn’t very Christmasy, but it would be the perfect recipe to make in the New Year. It is incredibly filling with the chicken and the chickpeas and fairly healthy for you. We served it with a salad to make sure we were eating some veggies that night. This recipe is very flavorful. I ate the leftovers all week for lunch!
Curried Chicken with Chickpeas
Yields – 6 servings
Prep time – 20 minutes
Cook time – 1 hour
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 potato (If you don’t have a potato, I would suggest serving the dish over rice)
- 1 small onion
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TSP black pepper
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 1 TSP of paprika
- 1 TSP olive oil
- Heat a medium sized pot over medium/high heat. Add the olive oil to the pan, then add the chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken breasts until they are browned.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and set aside.
- Slice the potato into bite sized pieces and dice the onion.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, pepper, curry powder, paprika, bay leaf, chickpeas, potato and onion into the same pot.
- Stir until the tomato paste is fully incorporated into the water.
- Slice the chicken breast into small bite sized pieces, then add it back into the pot.
- Let the food simmer on the stove for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Take the bay leaf out of the pot and serve immediately.