Here is the second recipe we used the ham to make. A few months ago I went over to Anthony’s grandma’s house and we made split pea soup together, but we did not put any meat into the soup. Anthony was SO upset. He really did not even want to eat the soup because there was no ham in it. So once we made the ham I knew we would have to make split pea soup, but then I got sick. Like horribly sick. I didn’t move off of the couch for a week. So my wonderful husband (I hope he reads this and I get some wife points!) made me soup. Yes, you should all be jealous.
I was planning on making half the bag of peas, because it is just the two of us, and Anthony made the entire bag. We have a lot of soup in our freezer, so if anyone would like some please let me know. Anthony did a great job. I promise it’s good. This soup was so perfect when I was sick. It was very filling. We ate a bowl with a slice of nice bread for an entire meal. Plus, it’s healthy for you! It’s peas! You can keep your new years resolutions and have delicious food too!
Split Pea Soup
Yields – 10 servings
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 2 hours
- 1 bag of split peas – 2 1/4 cups
- 8 cups of water
- 1 TSP of salt
- 1/4 TSP of pepper
- 2 cups of chopped carrots
- 2 cups of chopped celery
- 2 cups of ham
- 1 ham bone
- Soak the peas in water for at least one hour before cooking. I soaked them all day while I was at work.
- Drain the water from the peas.
- Add 8 cups of new water, salt, and pepper to the pot with the peas.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, celery, ham and the ham bone to the soup and cook for another 30 minutes or until the veggies are tender.