We have a snow day! It’s glorious! I’m thinking that this will probably be our last snow day of this year, so I am soaking up the laziness of today. The weather report looks like it will be getting warmer over the next few weeks. I’m definitely excited for spring time, but the occasional snow day has been really nice. This is the perfect recipe to make on a snow day. It is slow cooked in the oven for a really long time. It will heat up your house a little and then be a decedent dessert!
This is one of the best rice pudding recipes I have ever had and I am a rice pudding aficionado. Yes, it is brown. No, it is not the prettiest dessert but it is dang delicious. It is one of those recipes that you make for company. I made it for my mom and she has since made it for her friends who have all been asking her for the recipe. I’m telling you that you need to make this. Today. Go do it.
Coconut Milk Brown Rice Pudding
Yields – 4 servings
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 2 1/2 hours
- 1/2 cup of brown rice
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 1/2 a cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 TSP of salt
- 1 TSP of vanilla extract
- 2 TSP of cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the rice into a food processor and grind it for 30 seconds to release the thickening starches and make sure it cooks.
- Put all the ingredients into a oven proof pot. I used a casserole dish. And cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir. Cook for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir again. At this point it should start to look like rice pudding. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and stir again. My pudding needed another 10 minutes after this. It should be thick and mostly rice.
Recipe adapted from http://markbittman.com/coconut-and-brown-rice-pudding/