I have been working hard on my spring break to-do list the past few days. I mopped, vacuumed, cleaned out the microwave and our junk drawer. I have been busy. Today I am having a non-list day. I am not doing anything on the list and just relaxing. I do have two loads of laundry to fold, but that’s about it. I’m getting lunch with my mom and sitting on my couch. It’s going to be wonderful.
This is one of those recipes that we made about 7 times to get it to be perfectly where we like it, so I can promise you that it is awesome. This is a Filipino style adobo. I know that there are other types, but I am a vinegar junkie and the main component of the marinade for this is vinegar. It does require some forethought though, because you do have to marinade it for a long time so that pork can soak up the flavors. You can also serve this with any sort of small pasta or rice. My favorite way to serve it is with sliced potatoes. They soak up that vinegar flavor and it is oh so good!
Pork with Adobo Sauce
Yields – 3 servings
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 35 – 45 minutes depending on the size of your pork ribs
- 1 1/2 lbs of boneless pork ribs (we tried other types of pork and found this one worked the best)
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 TSP black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 a yellow onion
- 2 large potatoes, sliced
- In a large bowl place the ribs, soy sauce, garlic, pepper, vinegar, bay leaf and onion. Marinade for at least 8 hours.
- In a medium sauce pan place the pork and sauce. Heat over medium heat until the sauce is at a gentle bubble. Continue to heat for at least 30 minutes or until the pork is cooked all the way through.
- Add the potatoes to the mixture when there is 10 minutes left until the pork is cooked.
- Heat a frying pan until it is hot. Remove the pork from the sauce mixture and put it into the frying pan to brown the pork. Continue to heat the sauce in the sauce pan to reduce the mixture.
- Place the pork onto a plate and pour the sauce on top. Serve!