I am really enjoying my time off of work. The days seem to fill themselves up with relaxing, but it is so much better than going to work every day. I have caught up on almost all my shows without having to shush Anthony. It’s so nice. My house is in order and the dog has been bathed. I have been cooking and baking. I love it.
Lemon bars are hard to make, at least for me. I have attempted to make them so many times and I just always seem to mess them up somehow. The filling separates or it goes all the way to one side. They’re hard to make! I got this recipe out of the book of recipes from my husband’s family and they turned out well! I was so pleased. I definitely will be making them again. I make Anthony zest the lemons for me though. That part really is annoying. I wish that I could buy lemon zest, but I’ve never seen it in the store.
Regardless of if you need to zest your own lemons or not, you should make these. They’re really wonderful and such a great spring time treat. Now if only winter would get the memo that it’s over.
Yields – 24 bars
Prep time – 20 minutes
Cook time – 45 minutes
- 1 /2 lb of butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups + 6 TBSP of flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/3 cup of lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- zest of 2 lemons (don’t zest them into the white part of the rind, that part is bitter)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, powdered sugar, 2 cups of flour and salt using and electric mixer.
- Pat into a 9 x 13 baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs slightly. Stir in 6 TBSP of flour, sugar, lemon juice and zest to the eggs.
- Pour the lemon mixture over the crust and bake for 25 minutes.
- Once the bars are cooled sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top.