At work we have bagel Friday’s where every week someone takes a turn bringing in bagels. Well last week was my turn and like any good woman I bought too much. I always buy too much. I mean, I’d rather have too much than not enough when serving food to people right?!
And at the end of the day there was still a few bagels left in a variety of different flavors from raspberry to plain, so I took them home. There are only 2 of us at home and I definitely did not need 5 bagels and we’re bagel snobs so I knew Anthony wouldn’t eat a frozen bagel. I decided to try something a little different and try to make the bagels into french toast.
If you are going to be doing this and buying the bagels specifically for this I would recommend thinking about your favors before you buy the bagels. Everything bagel french toast < cinnamon raisin bagel french toast. If you’re just doing this with leftover bagels like I did then just do the dang thing and go for it!
Also, I tried to cut the bagels a bunch of different ways to see which way got the most egg batter into it and I found that we liked it best if you just sliced thinly around the bagel.
Bagel French Toast
Yields – 4 servings
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cook time – 15 minutes
- 4 bagels of your favorite flavors (again, I recommend cinnamon raisin)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup of almond milk (or regular milk if you aren’t dairy free)
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl beat your eggs until they are nice and fluffy.
- Add the milk, cinnamon and vanilla to your eggs and mix them together.
- Slice your bagels into bite sized pieces.
- Place the bagel pieces into your egg mixture and allow them to soak up as much of the mixture as possible.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Place the bagels into the pan and heat each side until they are golden brown on each side.