I usually update the blog on Wednesday because I don’t have work until later in the day, so it works out perfectly. I really love my Wednesday mornings. They’re relaxing. I get to cook breakfast for myself and snuggle my pup. It’s great.
Except this Tuesday night I went to bed and felt like I had something in my eye. I flushed my eye like 6 times with different things and I just couldn’t get it out, so I finally went to bed. I woke up and my eye was still really bothering me, so I called the doctor and made an appointment. Of course that means I spent my entire relaxing Wednesday morning in the doctors office. They found that I scratched my eye and said to give it a few days to heal, otherwise I have to go to the eye doctor. It still is bothering me, so it looks like I’ll be spending my day at the eye doctor tomorrow. BLAH.
Since I enjoy my Wednesday morning breakfasts so much, I am always looking for fun things to eat. Anthony made these huevos rancheros one Saturday morning and I have been obsessed with them since then. They are so good. You need to try these now. I feel like this recipe is basically just telling you what ingredients to put together, but you really need to make these.
Yields – 2 servings
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 1/2 a can of refried beans
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 a yellow onion
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of salsa verde
- splash of hot sauce
- scallions to garnish
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium high heat. Fry each tortilla one at a time until they are crispy.
- Chop all your veggies.
- Sauté the peppers and onions in a pan until they are softened.
- Fry each of your eggs however you like them. Anthony wants his over easy and I like mine scrambled, so that’s how we did ours but you can cook the eggs however you like.
- Heat the refried beans in the microwave until they are warmed.
- Place the beans on top of your tortilla, then top it with your eggs, then the peppers and onions, then the salsa and hot sauce and garnish with scallions.