We just got back from Spain yesterday and I’m really trying to get back into a regular routine fast. I took off work today, even though we’re home and I’m so glad I did. I had all these plans before I left of leaving the house spotless so I could come home and just relax, then we both got so sick. We both had a repertory infection and we’re just trying to feel better before the trip, so nothing got done around the house. Today will be spent catching up on things around the house instead of relaxing.
Spain was wonderful though. It was just so nice to be on vacation. We hadn’t been away in over a year and we needed some time off of work. Spain was an awesome country. Every time we go to Europe I’m just in awe of how much more relaxed the people are than they are here. No one is ever in a rush and who cares if you take 4 hours at dinner?! I can definitely take a lesson for that. I did photograph some of the food we ate in Spain, so I will have to post that soon. I found the food to be really hit or miss. When we went to France last you we couldn’t find a bad meal, but in Spain you definitely had to know where to go in order to get good food. If you’re going to Spain I suggest either doing research before you go on restaurants or asking your hotel.
Since we just got home and I have a lot to do, I was looking for easy one pot meals for dinner last night and came across this recipe. I have never tried swiss steak before, but it looked good so I wanted to give it a shot. Well it was amazing. The sauce that you eat with the steak is amazing. I could have drank it. It does take awhile to cook, so plan ahead!
Yields – 2 servings
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 1 1/2 hours
- 1 lb of beef bottom round steak
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 a onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1/2 a red bell pepper
- 1/2 a can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 3/4 cups of beef broth
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large pan that can go in the oven and on the stove heat your oil over medium high heat.
- While the oil is heating season your meat with salt and pepper, then dredge the meat in the flour on both sides making sure that it is fully covered in flour.
- Place the meat into the oil until it is golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Place the beef aside on a plate.
- Slice the peppers and onions into strips. Cut the mushrooms and celery into chunks and dice the garlic.
- Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic to the pan and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, paprika, beef broth to the veggies in the pan and stir to combine.
- Place the meat back into the pan and submerge it into the liquid.
- Cover the pot and place it in the oven for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.