Rhubarb is only in the store here for about 5 minutes and the 5 minutes it was there this year was when we were on vacation. I was so upset that I didn’t get my fill of rhubarb! I only was able to buy it once. Such a bummer.
When rhubarb is in season the first thing that I make is strawberry rhubarb crisp. The flavors together are so amazing. I wish rhubarb was in season for longer, so I could enjoy it more.
The good news is that when I got back from vacation one of my co-workers bought me rhubarb jam, so I’ve been able to enjoy that and not have complete rhubarb withdrawal yet. Next year I might try and jam my own rhubarb. I have never tried to make jam before, but I’d be willing to try it in order to enjoy rhubarb for a little bit longer. If you have any tips on making jam, let me know!
If rhubarb is still in season where you live, definitely make this recipe. It is honestly one of my favorites of all time.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Yields – 8 servings
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 45 minutes
- 4 cups of strawberries
- 4 cups of rhubarb
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 TBSP flour
- 1 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup of melted margarine
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the rhubarb and strawberries into bite sized pieces.
- Mix the fruit with the white sugar and 1 TBSP flour.
- Pour the fruit into a baking pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the oats, 1 cup of flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and margarine.
- Pour the oat mixture over your fruits evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.