I have this weird thing with bananas. When I was sick all the time and having all those issues with my stomach I ate bananas every morning for breakfast. Around the time that I stopped feeling sick I also stopped eating bananas. So now I associate bananas with feeling sick and I can’t eat them anymore.
Crazy. I know, but I can’t do it. I will eat a banana if we’re out and that’s the only fruit because I also have this weird thing where I need to eat fruit every morning. I feel like fruit is an easy food that gets my stomach ready for the day.
Now that you all think I’m crazy, I’m just trying to say that I have a lot of bananas left at the end of each week so we eat a lot of banana bread. Occasionally I get sick of bananas and I try another muffin. I saw a recipe for cinnamon streusel muffins online and I really wanted to try them.
This recipe is really good. What I didn’t think about was that the muffins would rise and the streusel would spread out unevenly then over the top of the muffin, so if you make this yourself I would suggest not filling your muffin tins as much as you usually do so that they don’t rise as much. Who doesn’t like more muffins though!?
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
Yields – 18 muffins
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold dairy free margarine
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dairy free margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease your muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl mix together all the ingredients for the topping making sure to cut the margarine in as small as you can. Place the topping into the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together the margarine and sugar. Add the eggs. Add the milk. Add the vanilla until everything is well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until they are well combined.
- Fill the muffin tin with the batter making sure that you don’t fill them over 3/4 of the way full.
- Top the batter with your topping generously.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before you enjoy!