Anthony turned thirty last Friday. We took off of work and went on a crazy kayaking journey. We live near a river, so we took our kayak from our town down the river 7 miles to a nearby town. Then the plan was to take the train home. We ended up having to carry the boat over a lock for about 20 minutes, which was crazy. Then, the train we were supposed to catch came 5 minutes early so we missed it and had to take an Uber home. It was nice to be on the river for a long time, but kind of annoying to miss the train.
Then we went out for all you can eat sushi. BLAH! I just don’t like sushi or fish, so it’s basically my worst nightmare. But what the hubs wants for his birthday, he is going to get!
Anthony went to college in Cajun country, so I thought I would make him something fun to remind him of the good old days. Plus, this is one of those pasta dishes that you can throw everything in a pot and it turns out amazing.
Cajun Sausage Pasta
Yields – 2 Servings
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 20 minutes
- 1/2 box of penne
- 1/2 small can of tomato paste
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your pasta according to the package directions.
- In a frying pan cook your sausage links until fully cooked. Remove them and slice them into bite sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in the same pan you cooked the sausages, saute the red pepper, mushrooms, onions and garlic until they are softened.
- Add the pasta, sausage and remaining ingredients to your veggies and stir until well combined.
- Serve with a sprinkle or parmesan cheese if you desire.